success with tennis shoes

lymphatic fault, carpal tunnel, Sesamoiditis, Tendonitis in Foot, hot tubs, spas, jacuzzi, mattress toppers, cold weather, daily lymphedema management, Bandage Wrapping, Wrapping and Rolling

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

success with tennis shoes

Postby Kim » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:42 pm

I've had so much trouble with swelling in one foot (where LE actually started after cellulitis) that no matter what I do, my foot/toes stay swollen. It's been very frustrating.

Recently I bought a pair of tennis shoes and wearing them has made a HUGE difference in the foot/TOES swelling! Before the tennis shoes, I was living in Crocs, which I love. However, my new shoe of choice is now my tennis shoes! At first I thought the decrease in swelling was just coincidental, but after 2 weeks, there is no doubt. In the evening when I take off my shoes, even after being on my feet for hours, there is virtually no swelling/extra fluid in my foot! I can actually see the tendons in my foot!! It's amazing! I can only guess that the tennis shoes are more flexible??? allowing movement of fluid when I walk?? Whatever, I'm ecstatic and wanted to share this with you in case some of you want to look into it for yourself. For the last year and a half, my toes have looked like little sausages, and now...i've got skinny toes again!! :o :D and my foot is not so hard and full of fluid. I didn't think that I would be able to find tennis shoes that would fit in the first place, between the toe wraps, a chip bag, and two compression garments...but I did. I used to have rather narrow feet that would get lost in tennis shoes, so what works for me now is New Balance "wide" in 1/2 size larger.

On the subject of shoes, I know there are some who wear Crocs. I recently looked at their site, and they have several new styles, especially for problem feet. Might be worth checking out. I still love my Crocs and will wear them, just not as much as before.

Kim :)
Kim

Shoe solutions

Postby ppaesch » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:57 am

It's always good to hear what people do for the edematous feet. Thanks
for the tips. Will check out Crocs. I've found Propet shoes to be very
accomodating also. They come in wide widths and are very comfortable.
They can be pricy but, when I get lucky, can sometimes find them at
Nordstrom's Rack for much less. :)
ppaesch

tennis shoes

Postby wtryan » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:37 pm

I find them good to wear as well - can tighten the laces and they offer good compression without being uncomfortable. I wear sneakers most of the time...
wtryan

Postby ppaesch » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:05 pm

The lady from church who comes here to bring Communion to my invalid
husband wears Crocs. I tried hers on today. Think I'll order a pair from
Amazon. Pat
ppaesch

crocs

Postby mama » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:54 am

I read about Crocs on this site and decided to check them out for my husband, Josh. They weren't tall enough. He could have squeezed his foot into them, but then he would have had polka-dot compressions from the holes! :) That didn't seem healthy. Since he doesn't go out much, we haven't had to invest a whole lot into shoes. In the earlier stages when only one foot was affected, we used to buy two different size shoes and of course the only way to afford that is to go to Payless. We bought sneakers that had a thick tongue and cut out the foam filling. It allowed a little more room. I've heard that sneakers are bad though because they breed more fungus. One issue he has with the less-affected foot is dry, scaly skin around the base of his toes and crease of his ankle. Any idea what that could be from and why it only affects the one foot?
~Stacy
mama

Footwear; dry skin

Postby ppaesch » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:18 am

Stacy, I ordered a pair of Crocs, so we'll see if they're roomy enough.
Thanks for your input. One of my feet is larger (more edematous) than
the other, but I don't need to buy two pairs of shoes for the fit, as some
folks do. As far as the dry skin is concerned, I've found the best moisturizing cream is Eucerin. This cream also does not interfere with the
elastic in the compression stockings. I hear that Wal-Mart makes a com-
parable cream which is cheaper than Eucerin which I haven't tried. Thanks again. Pat
ppaesch

Postby silkie » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:16 am

Hi everyone

Im so comfortable in the Flyflots there like soft gloves on my feet
can walk no foot problems at all and 2 sizes smaller because of the width

There is one thing about Tennis shoes and trainers foot infections
keep a check on your feet and nails for fungal infections they do seem to occur more with these type of footwear

huggggggggggggggggg

Silks xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
silkie

Footwear

Postby ppaesch » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:42 pm

:) So happy to talk with someone from merry olde England. My mom was
from Hitchin, and I still keep in touch with a cousin in Peterborough. Thanks for your recommendation about Flyflots. Will check them out --
they sound very comfy. Thanks!
ppaesch

Postby carolinabutterfly313 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:52 pm

I don't think I could live without my Crocs and on many days, flip flops (shame on me, I know), but I do admit that I see much less swelling in my foot and ankle when I wear sneakers. Especially during the hotter months like we're having here now, it's hard to put them on and stay in them, but I know I need to do what's best for my body and just deal with the sneakers as many days as possible.
carolinabutterfly313

Return to Our Daily Lives with Lymphedema