Hobbies

lymphatic fault, carpal tunnel, Sesamoiditis, Tendonitis in Foot, hot tubs, spas, jacuzzi, mattress toppers, cold weather, daily lymphedema management, Bandage Wrapping, Wrapping and Rolling

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Hobbies

Postby dyocum555 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:57 pm

I have lymphedema in both legs and they use to swell so bad that they would split open. I've had it since 2004 after a bout with Celulitis (sp) and was taken off work in 2005. For awhile I did what the doc said and just kept my legs elevated. Then I couldn't stand it any longer and had to do something to keep sane. Woodworking was my answer. I've always enjoyed working with wood but standing in my shop just hurt too much.

With the help of my brothers, we shortened all of my tables...there are three of them and I added a few chairs. Now I can do most of my woodworking sitting down and in some cases with my legs propped up. My arms hurt too now although there is no swelling that I notice.

I'm also diabetic and have just had cancer surgery on my face. Woodworking is what I do to keep sane and still feel usefull.

So my question is, how has this changed the way you do your hobby?

Oh...you if you want to look at some of my work you'll find it at http://www.yarcadian.com I aplogize if adding my site is a no-no here.

--David
dyocum555

Postby patoco » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:33 pm

Hi David

If a member has a website, it's perfectly ok and welcome :) for you to share it.

The only times I become a stickler is when a "corporate entity" joins just to try and advertise or these cursed spammers who are always trying to join just to spam.

Absolutely love your woodwork :!: :!: :!:

LOL...all I used to do with wood is to refinish old cabinetry....wish I had the talent to do the artwork you do.

Before I got really bad, health wise, I used to be incredibly active. One of my hobbies/passions was gardening.

Can't do much of any physical activity now, but still have hobbies like history, theoretical physics, music...things like that. Love arranging songs on the piano.

Now though, almost all of my spare time is involved with the 43 internet sites, groups and blogs I maintain.

I really encourage lymphers that to have hobbies and interests...does great things for the mind and spirit.

Best :)

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Piano

Postby dyocum555 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:44 am

Thank you Pat; I truly envy anyone who can play music especially the piano or sax. A lot of people can memorize music and play, but I’m talking about those who have the gift to truly play from their heart and soul.

To be able to share your emotions through music is something I admire and only wish I could be able to do.

I agree that everyone needs some sort of hobby or passion. I use to enjoy walking through the woods and taking pictures, my legs don’t allow for that anymore.

I love to read and work in my shop. So far everything I’ve done has come from my own imagination. Working with wood, reading, and listening to my greatly varied tastes in music help me get through the day.

My wife loves to read and sew. We generally read ourselves to sleep each night unless I’m in the middle of a project that I just can’t walk away from.

If you don’t have a hobby or interest of some kind, find one. It can be anything you do in your leisure time that helps you cope with the stresses in your life. If there’s something you enjoy doing but can’t now because of medical limitations…get creative and find a new way of doing it.

I can’t walk through the woods anymore, but I can walk on paths in parks and we drive to places where I can take pictures. I had to modify my shop to allow me to sit more often.

Maybe you’ve had to change how you do something that helps you cope. Share and it might just help someone else.

--David
dyocum555

Postby Nessa0071 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:14 pm

David,

Amazing workmanship on wood! I absolutely loved all of them including your horse with the rock and dark cloud.

my hobbies include gardening, cooking, alot of volunteer work, and camping with the family....just to name a few.

Have a great day!
Nessa
Nessa0071

Return to Our Daily Lives with Lymphedema